Sports style in men’s haircuts today is actively gaining popularity and is used by men of different character and occupation. Among the main advantages of sports haircuts can be distinguished: the ease of styling, low requirements for care and versatility, which allows you to successfully combine such haircuts with any style of clothing. In this material you will get acquainted with the main varieties of men’s sports haircuts, as well as with the peculiarities of their selection for different men.
Men’s sports haircuts became popular back in the 50s of the twentieth century, that’s when they were used by tennis players, weightlifters and boxers, who during the game or competition should look dignified and not be distracted by the hair falling on the eyes.
Originally, sports haircuts were ultra-short hairstyles with an almost shaved head, but with the spread of such haircuts among the general public there have been variations with longer locks.
Among the main features of men’s sports haircuts are the following.
- Minimalism, which implies finality and simplicity in hair styling. All sports haircuts look simple, but can successfully complement any style.
- The absence of bangs as such – this is done in order to maximize the opening of the man’s face, especially if the latter has beautiful and distinct facial features.
- The main tool in creating men’s sports haircuts is the electronic machine, as most of these hairstyles involves shortened or shaved hair on the back and sides.
- Almost all sports men’s haircuts have an increased length in the area of the crown and parietal lobe, while the sides and the back of the head are most often trimmed short or even ultra-short. The length of the curls on the vertex in this case can vary greatly – from a few millimeters to a few centimeters.
Among the key advantages of men’s sports haircuts are the following:
- These are classic variants of haircuts, which will always remain in trend and will never go out of fashion;
- Each man can find a suitable haircut among sports haircuts – they are universal and fit in any look;
- Men with sports haircuts do not need to perform regular care of his hair (the same applies to styling) – to maintain and correct the appearance of some sports haircuts need to visit a hairdresser every 3 months;
- To perform basic sports hairstyles will be enough for a simple machine, others can be performed in no more than half an hour.
Today there are about 15 sports haircuts for men. Some of them are used less frequently and are the author’s reflection of already well-known classic sports haircuts. The following will describe the features of youthful men’s sports hairstyles for short hair.
Boxing and half-boxes
“Fighting” haircuts are a classic example of men’s sports haircuts. It was with them began the trend for sports style in the creation of hairstyles. The key features of the box haircut can be considered simple styling, no need for adjustments, the most open face.
Boxing is characterized by ultra-short or shaved sides, short curls on the back of the head and slightly increased length of hair on the head – up to 5 cm. In a half box the curls on the head are slightly longer – no more than 7-8 cm. To beautifully style such hairstyles on the vertex, makeup artists use the help of a hair dryer and varnish. Often the curls are raised with a hair dryer, just ruffled with wax or gel and fixed with fixing agents. The bangs in the case of these hairstyles are absent – it is stacked along with the hair on the crown.
Hairstyles and haircuts bald or under zero are recommended only for men with a beautiful oval face or face type “square”. If this haircut is worn by a young man with a heavy chin, wide forehead or unattractive cheekbones, all these flaws will become even more noticeable. Under zero is an ideal option for balding men.
The key function of a zero hairstyle is to give a man more masculinity and brutality. This hairstyle doesn’t need any styling, but it does require regular trips to the hairdresser to remove sprouting hair fuzz.
Usually to perform the haircut to zero uses a standard electric machine, which removes the hair on the head in the direction from the forehead to the crown, followed by the treatment of the temporal lobes and the back of the head.
Another advantage of a shaved head is the possibility of an independent haircut – with sufficient patience, even a novice hairdresser can make such a sporty hairstyle at home.
Another versatile sports haircut, which is suitable for absolutely any man, can be considered a hedgehog hairstyle. The main feature of this hairstyle is the raised curls in different directions on the crown. Often the curls in this haircut are treated with varnish or gel – to create a natural effect of shine. A plus hedgehog haircut is the presence of contrived carelessness, so that almost any hair styling in this hairstyle will look successful.
Hairbrush in the case of the hedgehog can be stacked with the entire scalp or slightly to emphasize the length of the rest of the hair.
This is perhaps the most controversial male sports haircut. The bob is characterized by ultra-short sides and the back part, as well as voluminous and raised curls on the crown, during the styling of which on the vertex is formed like a flat pad. Like all sports hairstyles, the bobber completely opens the face and can visually elongate it, which is definitely useful for men with round and triangular faces.
Styling a bobrik takes about 20 minutes a day and requires the usual massage comb, gel and varnish to fix it. Unlike the hedgehog, the bob hairstyle is more straight and finished – there is no sloppiness or fuzzy lines. Moreover, in a bobrik the hair on the sides is shorter than in a hedgehog.
Haircuts of military type appeared in the early twentieth century in America. Initially they were worn specifically by the military, but over time such hairstyles have spread to ordinary men. Outwardly, the hairstyle style military type is very similar to the boxing, but in the latter the temples are cut with scissors, but in the military temples are shaved with a zero nozzle. Like the other sports men’s haircuts, the military haircut does not need to be painstakingly groomed and does not require daily styling. Some men use styling gel to give the curls in a militari-style haircut a natural shine.
Among the sporting haircuts on short curls, a special place belongs to the Caesar hairstyle – it is one of the ultra-fashionable men’s hairstyles in the current season. Caesar is characterized by ultra-short temples, slightly elongated hair on the crown and a well-defined line of bangs on the forehead. This hairstyle looks ideally on men with oval and square faces: it emphasizes the strong-willed chin, beautiful cheekbones and highlights the eyes. Caesar does not require special styling, but needs regular adjustments to the bangs line.
As can be easily guessed, the hair style of tennis was firstly worn by athletes, who were engaged in lawn tennis, and later this haircut became actively used by ordinary men. Tennis unites a whole group of sports haircuts, which are characterized by a short length of hair at the temples with a smooth transition to the elongated hair on the crown, raised in the forehead area.
How to choose?
Despite the fact that sports haircuts are considered classic and universal hairstyles options, they can look more or less successful in the bow of different men. Before you opt for a certain sports hairstyle, you need to be sure that such a haircut will fit your look. The recommendations below will help you with choosing a stylish sports hairstyle. The main criteria for choosing a sporty haircut will, of course, concern your face type and hair structure.
Face oval choice
- The optimal option for a sports haircut will be. In this case, the haircut will be able to emphasize a beautiful chin, clear cheekbones, even eyebrows and will make a bright accent on the eyes of the man. Men with an oval face of these types will suit absolutely all varieties of sports haircuts. for men with an oval or square face
- The main problem of men with a triangular and diamond-shaped face is a pointed chin and a wide forehead. In this case the best solution would be variants of sports haircuts with minimally raised hair on the crown and with raised bangs. Voluminous hairstyles with straight bangs should be avoided – this will further extend the face and increase the forehead. Pay close attention to the sharp chin, which can be visually smoothed by smooth oblique lines curls on the crown. But the options of the hedgehog type are contraindicated here.
- The owners of round faces should focus on the variations of sports haircuts with a voluminous crown and ultra-short temples – this method will visually stretch the face and give it a more correct shape. In the case of round faces, you should refuse short haircuts with an equal length of hair at the temples, nape and crown – this will further round out the face oval.
- If we talk about the selection of sports haircuts based on hair structure, there are also peculiarities.
- Soft, thick and manageable hair will look harmoniously in any sports haircut – these curls are easy to give a natural volume or a standing form.
- For curly and curly hair you should choose only short hairstyles with short temples and an elongated crown of no more than 5-6 cm in thickness. Curly hair will be very difficult to style, and therefore you should refuse to sport hairstyles that require smoothly combed hair (such as in the bobrik haircut).
- Stiff and sparse hair will fit perfectly into sports hairstyles of the tennis, hedgehog or half-box type, which involve short temples, as well as elevated and untidy hair at the top.
As for hair shade, sporting haircuts can go well with both blonde and dark hair. The only difference is that a sharp transition from the length of the hair between the shaved temples and the elongated top (as in Caesar hairstyle) looks more effective with dark or black hair.